Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Who Else Wants to Win Nano 2011?

    I do! I do! *Raising and waving hand wildly*

   And after two consecutive years of failing Nano, I am stepping up and following a training plan. Nothing complicated or scary. Just three simple steps.

1. Organize Story Ideas. 
  
 I bought a bunch of cheap notebooks during the Back-To-School sales and labeled them all for separate plots that have come up over the months. Then I just jot down notes in the appropriate notebook whenever I think of of something that can go in one of them. It has helped my organization of plotting immensely. 


On November 1st, I will choose a notebook of plot notes and begin my story!

2. Train to Write Early and Everyday

 In my meandering across the web looking for a good kick in the butt to get motivated to write every day, I came across the perfect tool for the occasion: http://750words.com/ .

The link will explain itself best, even without my help. It's a place to write 750 words a day, no matter what they are about. It won't post it or send it anywhere. The only person who sees it is you. The point is to get into your creative mode and start a habit that will get easier the more you do it.

I have my settings sent to send me a reminder email every day at 8 o' clock to write 750 words. My email is the first thing I check when I get on my computer in the morning, so I go right from there to 750words.com and pound them out. So far so good!

3. Plan ahead for Time


  If you are like me, then you know well the feeling of last minute cramming in words as fast as you can before midnight, because you've been busy, or put it off, or took too many breaks. This year, I have vowed to myself that it is not going to happen. Because this year, I'm planning my time. 

First, is making a plan for when and how long I'm going to write. I am currently practicing waking up early and getting my writing done in the morning. I have two major distractions past 8 o'clock in the morning. One is two years old, and the other is four. They are adorable little writing banes. So the plan is to get up and start writing at 7am. I will get as much writing done as I can before the little boogers wake up.

 Second, I'm planning "Catch-Up" days. If I am always on track, these can also be "Forge Ahead" days. I've already talked to my husband about it. So the plan is that on Sunday, he takes the kids out of the house for a couple hours. I will then have the house to myself; peaceful and quiet with nothing for me to do but write.


And Concluding... So there it is. I am planning on following up this plan after November to post about how well it worked for me. If this works, it is totally going to be my personal mantra.

Bring it on Nanowrimo!

No comments: